The puffer jacket also known as the down jacket is one of winters most reliable pieces of gear. Versatile, breathable, and able to keep you warm without impeding movement, the best mens puffer jackets or down jacketswill keep you insulated regardless of the wind chill. When shopping for a puffer coat, consider the insulation type, which takes into account how well the jacket retains warmth. Down is the best. But synthetic fill is not a bad option either. Keep an eye out for features that suit your needs detachable liners, for instance, or a jacket that stuffs down small for easy travel.
When it comes to the nitty gritty, our friends at REI have some great guidelines for jacket-shopping:
- A down jacket is insulated with plumage from ducks and geese. Theyre considered the warmest, but if youre so inclined, try to find one with down thats ethically-sourced. Other things to keep in mind is the volume of the fill. The higher the volume, the warmer the jacket. These jackets are great for everyday use. And dont be fooled by how puffy a jacket is: Its not a sign that its any warmer.
- Synthetic insulation is best when youre looking at performance. It dries fast and is great for anyone whos skiing, snowboarding, or hiking.The higher the number on the fill, the warmer the jacket. These are the coats you want to get if youre planning on taking on a few Black Diamonds.
- A blend of down insulation and synthetic insulation is ideal for really hard-core activities, and when you get one of these jackets, theyre generally more affordable than a pure down coat.
Keeping these criteria in mind, here are the best mens down jackets and best puffer jackets to keep you warm and active all winter.
Best Everyday Puffer Jacket: Patagonia Quilted Down Hoodie
Want a jacket that you can wear all year? Here you go. This puffer pull-over hoodie from Patagonia is filled with ethically-traceable down. The shell is windproof and water-resistant, and made from 100 percent recycled polyester. Because they thought of everything, there's zippered handwarmer pockets and an interior zippered chest pocket that doubles as a stuff sack with carabiner clip-in loop. It's light, warm, and will last you for decades.
Runner-Up: Marmot Guides Puffer Jacket
A no-frills puffer coat, the Guides Puffer Jacket is a bit bulkier than standard performance puffers but man oh man is it toasty. It traps warmth wonderfully. Stuffed with 700-fill down, it's also water resistant-enough to handle light rain. Hand, chest, and interior pockets keep all your stuff close. Can be worn alone or with a shell.
Best Lightweight Puffer Jacket: Eddie Bauer EverTherm Down Jacket
- No quilting. No cold spots. This is down. Revolutionary new Thindown fabric replaces traditional, high-loft down clusters with ultrathin down sheets, eliminating the need for quilting or channels. It also creates maximum thermal efficiency without bulk and, since the down is uniform throughout, there are no cold spots. You get all warmth, no puff, in a simple, streamlined design that delivers superior technical performance.
- This is your go-to men's hooded down jacket for looking great in town or high up in the mountains. After testing the Men's Evertherm Down Jacket on his climb of Mt. Everest, Eddie Bauer Alpine Climbing Guide (IFMGA) Adrian Ballinger claimed this is the best hooded outdoor shell he's worn due to it being ultralight, warm, and slim.
- Features of this revolutionary outdoor jacket include: 30G Evertherm down insulation with Thindown technology that provides maximum warmth and minimum loft without down leakage. StormRepel Super DWR provides long-lasting moisture-shedding finish on the nylon shell. Low-profile insulated hood with elastic binding that enhances fit and confortZip-close chest and hand pockets keep essentials secure. Elastic binding at wrist cuffs seals out the cold. Adjustable drawcord waist dials in the fit.
- Available in Regular and Tall sizes with 29 inches length to accommodate a taller frame. Average length: Reg 29 inches. Average weight: Reg 12.64 ounces. Classic Fit: A universal fit. Not too slim, not too relaxed on body. Designed to fit over midweight layers.
- Temperature rating: 40 degrees Farenheit with low activity, -15 degrees Farenheit with moderate activity. 100% nylon shell. CARE: Secure all garment closures before laundering. Turn garment inside out. Machine wash cold delicate, separately, using mild detergent. Rinse thoroughly. Do not bleach or use fabric softeners. Tumble dry low. Do not iron or steam. Do not dry clean.
Best Hooded Puffer Jacket: Burton Edgecomb Insulator Jacket
If your perfect day consists of a black diamond, followed by a black coffee at the office, this is your jacket. The hoods can be cinched up and the cuffs are adjustable. The exterior is Gore Paclite Shell, and the interior is made from insulated removable down. A wildly versatile jacket, it features a GORE-TEX shell with removable down lining, and has a lean cut we love.
Best Packable Puffer Jacket: Lands End 800 Down Jacket
- TEMPERATURE RATING WARMEST: +1 to +22 Fahrenheit. Learn more
- 800 fill power down means warmth without weight through the body
- Primaloft insulation adds warmth at the sides, collar and pocket
- Packs into its left hand pocket for easy travel
- Water-repellent, downproof, windproof shell fabric
Best Puffer Jacket for Skiing and Snowboarding: Columbia Bugaboo II Fleece Interchange Jacket
This performance jacket combines a waterproof shell with a fleece liner to always keep your body temperature in check. It's waterproof but breathable and regulates your temperature via a strategic assortment of small silver dots. Each part of the jacket can either be worn on its own, or together when you really hit brutal weather. The storm hood is removable and adjustable. There are zippered hand pockets. The fill is entirely synthetic.
Every product on Fatherly is independently selected by our editors, writers, and experts. If you click a link on our site and buy something, we may earn an affiliate commission.
- Dyson's Newest $750 Air Purifier Actually Destroys Formaldehyde
- Moving HBO MLK Documentary 'We Are the Dream' Is Free To Watch Right Now
- 'Rise of Skywalker' Will Hit Blu-ray and Digital Download Sooner Than You Thought
- Survey Reveals Dads Still Don't Know Anything About Women's Health
The post The Best Mens Puffer Jackets and Down Jackets to Fight the Cold appeared first on Fatherly.